Embracing the Power of Small:
Alternative Creative Publishing Houses
There is a silent revolution happening in the huge and dynamic field of publishing, where enormous corporate titans frequently command attention. Super-small, independent publishing firms are invigorating the literary and creative realms and subverting industry conventions. These specialised publishers don’t mind taking chances; they concentrate on the unusual, the bold, and the genuinely one-of-a-kind. Here, we explore the world of small-scale alternative creative publishing businesses that are having a significant influence.
- Tiny Splendor: Living up to its name, Tiny Splendor is a true gem in the world of creative publishing. This micro-press is dedicated to producing limited-edition, handmade artist books and prints. Based in Los Angeles, Tiny Splendor collaborates with a diverse array of artists to produce visually stunning, one-of-a-kind publications. Their commitment to the craft of bookmaking is a testament to the power of small-scale creativity.
- 2dcloud: 2dcloud is a Minneapolis-based publisher with a penchant for experimental comics, graphic novels, and illustrated works. They prioritise unique, avant-garde stories and artist-driven narratives. This tiny publishing house has an outsized impact, challenging the traditional boundaries of graphic storytelling.
- Civil Coping Mechanisms: Operating on a modest scale, Civil Coping Mechanisms embraces literary innovation and alternative narratives. This press, based in Los Angeles, specialises in fiction, nonfiction, and poetry that often defies categorization. Their daring approach to publishing is driven by a passion for works that don’t fit neatly into mainstream boxes.
- Dancing Girl Press: Dancing Girl Press, a micro-press based in Chicago, is dedicated to the art of poetry. They focus on chapbooks and small poetry collections, giving voice to emerging poets and their unconventional expressions. By doing so, they play a significant role in the continued vitality of the poetry genre.
- Featherproof Books: Featherproof Books, headquartered in Chicago, is a small press with a big impact on the literary scene. They’re known for their innovative fiction and unconventional narratives. Featherproof Books pushes the boundaries of storytelling, giving voice to emerging and unconventional authors who might not find a home in mainstream publishing.
- Impeached Publishing: Impeached Publishing is a dynamic independent publishing house run by a collective of creatives based in Swizterland. Founded in 2020, it specialises in art books and other creative works. Impeached Publishing is dedicated to celebrating emerging talent and pushing the boundaries of artistic expression. With a commitment to nurturing unconventional narratives and artistic freedom, it provides a platform for artists and creators to share their unique visions with the world. This innovative approach makes Impeached Publishing a rising star in the world of art books and creative publishing. You can submit your proposal through this link.
Be part of our
Explore art, photography and design that inspires you. Discover new artists,
follow your favorites and connect with the creative community.
Dev Dhunsi, a Norwegian-Indian multidisciplinary artist and photographer based in Stockholm is currently presenting his inaugural solo exhibition at MELK, Oslo. “Encircling Stories” features images captured during Dhunsi’s seven-year exploration, spanning from Punjab to Goa, traversing diverse regions of India by train. The exhibition reveals evolving relationships with land, highlighting the complexities of a region undergoing agricultural challenges, monoculture threats, and dispossession.
Charleston Lewes is currently hosting Through the Joy of the Senses an exhibition by contemporary artist Jonathan Baldock. The solo show explores Baldock’s fascination with sculptural form, craft traditions, and folklore. The selection resonates with Lewes’s historical and cultural context, weaving a narrative inspired by the town’s rich folklore, myths, and legends.
Challenging traditional design norms, RAPA Architects have designed a unique architectural project located in Tihany, Hungary. The concept revolves around the design of a contemporary vacation home with a thatched roof and a traditional longhouse contour.